Saturday 25 October 2014

Turn the Clock Back

Don't forget to turn your clocks back this weekend! British summertime ends. So that means the long, dark winter evenings are here. But for just this weekend it means I get an extra hour in bed. Yippee! Then, I must get up and get on with life this winter....and face whatever life throws at me this winter.

Turn the clock back!
I cannot help but think, as we turn our clocks back, about that old saying, 'If only I could turn the clock back....' But we all know very well that we cannot turn the clock of life back to relive certain events. Yes there's many things we would do differently if we could turn the clock back in our lives. But we can't, and even though there may be regrets or guilt, we've got to live with the consequences.
Maybe it's 'If only I hadn't got involved in that relationship that led to a broken heart.' Or maybe it's 'If only I hadn't taken that pathway that led to some addiction.' 'If only I hadn't said those cruel, unkind words.' 'If only I'd chosen a different career or a different place to live.' 'If only I hadn't got involved in some crooked dealing.' 'If only I'd listened instead of choosing a lifestyle that broke my mother's heart.' ' If only I'd studied harder in school.' 'If only I'd helped those people in need.' 'If only I'd said yes to God's call.' And so the list goes on and on....
And yet, sometimes we would just love to turn the clock back to relive some wonderful, lovely experience.....to feel that young love again,,,,to hear the voice of a departed loved one....to know that power and zeal that led to success....to experience some joy and peace that enveloped our entire being.....etc.etc.
So as you turn your clocks back this weekend, remember the clock of your life is ticking away. You cannot turn it back, You cannot undo the past, no matter how much you'd like to. You may be wiser and on hindsight do things better. But you cannot relive happy experiences, no matter how much you enjoyed them. Start living in the present for the things that really matter. Take time to enjoy family and friends. Follow your dreams for good. But best of all follow the LORD and live for Him NOW!
Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Ephesians 5v16 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment