Saturday 1 December 2018

My Autumn Thoughts

To everything there is a season. Autumn is the season of dying leaves producing the fabulous range of beautiful autumnal colours. To those of you who know me you will probably be aware that autumn is not one of my favourite seasons. (I much prefer spring and summer). However, the beauty of the colours really struck me as I walked through Windmill wood in Dungannon a few weeks ago. I could not help but take a few photos with my phone. They are not very good quality but here they are along with a few thoughts.

Windmill Wood, Dungannon
It had been a while since I walked through the woods on my way to town. The pathway had been swept but my eyes admired the carpet of rusty dead leaves under the trees. Then, my thoughts just went off in this direction:


I sometimes think of life as 4 seasons. Spring is childhood. Summer is youth. Autumn is middle age. Winter is old age. Each season of life has purpose and we can know contentment in fulfilling that purpose. God gives the grace and strength to face each season of life, whatever the challenges. Remember too, that godliness with contentment is great gain (1 Timothy 6v6).


There is a straight path down from the windmill but the rest of the paths wind their way throughout the woods. I know the paths now and can enjoy a walk there. Life twists and turns irrespective of the season. Every pathway in life is not straight. We never know who or what is around the next bend for us to face.


The paths are swept to help prevent us from slipping on the wet leaves and falling. In life there is many a time we can slip and fall. Falling down does not make us a failure but staying down will. So, don't stay down. Get right back up again. Do not let the devil keep you in defeat. A just man may fall seven times but he rises up again (Psalm 37v24; Proverbs 24v16).


Look closely at the picture above and you will see a grey squirrel in the middle of it. They are busy scurrying around the woods at the moment collecting nuts and food for the winter but it is impossible to get close enough to them to take a photo with a phone camera. These amazing little creatures know to prepare for the winter ahead. We too need to prepare for our future and by that I am referring to our eternal destiny. Prepare to meet thy God (Amos 4v12)


In the middle of the woods a big tree has been cut down. I do not know the exact why, when or who particulars but soon it will be forgotten by a lot of passers by for there is nothing left now but a tree stump. This cut down tree reminds me that we can be cut down in any season of our life. So, we all need to make sure that we are ready to die. We all have an appointment with death that we must keep and we do not know how soon or suddenly that will be (Hebrews 9v27; Proverbs 27v1).

Cut down tree in Peatlands Park

I will conclude with a tag-along thought. One of my favourite places for walking locally is Peatlands Park. Adrian and I have also had some lovely Sunday afternoon walks there recently. It is a pleasure to get away out into the bog walks with the dogs. The two and a half mile walk is about my limit but I love it. Autumn stares us in the face there too but I can still enjoy it. I may be walking through the autumn season of life but I still find that the joy of the Lord is my strength.

Lake in Peatlands

What about you? How do you feel about autumn? Maybe you are not able to enjoy as you would like to or maybe you are not a walker. Nonetheless I hope you reflect upon your season of life and how it affects you spiritually.
Rhonda

Discover more about these two lovely places to walk:
Windmill Wood, Dungannon
Peatlands Park

No comments:

Post a Comment