Wednesday 20 March 2019

Sandy Cove

Where better to have a St. Patrick's day stroll than down by Sandy Cove near Kinsale in Co.Cork? Adrian has some treasured memories of summer camps spent near there. So, he parked up the car in view of the sea and we went for a walk. There's a pathway that winds from Sandy Cove along by some cliffs to the ruins of an old church. It is that path we took on Sunday afternoon.





We had not planned to end up there when we set out for a drive. So, I was not dressed for the occasion. Some parts of the path were mucky but not impassable, even for me. It certainly was not a path you would walk in the dark nor would I stand too close to the edge of a cliff! Nonetheless, on that cold Spring day in March we walked and talked and enjoyed some lovely views. My photos just cannot capture the beauty.


Then, we came to a sign which said 'Beware of the BULL' and as I looked on the other side of the path another sign read 'WARNING DANGEROUS CLIFFS Keep away'.  Our chances did not seem great if a bull came charging! So, as I have a phobia of bulls since childhood, I decided to turn back. Adrian continued to the ruins of the little old church and took a couple of photos.



I dandered back, enjoying the views. But as I was almost back to the car, I noticed another warning sign that read 'Dangerous cliffs, Fire Hazard, No Barbeques'. I had walked right passed it before and never even noticed it.

Sometimes life's pathway takes us passed some dangers. There is many a place we can fall and others where we can get burnt. We can get stuck in the muck of everyday life and forget to lift our eyes to the Almighty Creator and Sustainer of life. The enemy may come charging at us. We may even lead others astray into danger. But there are warnings from faithful friends and the Word of God for us to heed. And, yes, many a time we do choose to ignore them and walk right on or maybe we do not even notice the warning signs.


As I was nearly back to the car, I could see the moon starting to appear to view in the sky and I just could not help but think:
One day the sun will finally set on our lives and eternal day will begin for those who belong to the Lord. What a day that will be when my Jesus I will see!

No comments:

Post a Comment